Saturday, October 29, 2011

Nor'easter Snowstorm on October 29, 2011

I had to take a break from my quilt room, where I am finishing up some of my Ghastlie projects to take pictures of what is going on outside! The date says it all.....October 29, 2011.

Here are the beginning pictures at about 2:00 this afternoon when the storm is beginning to get up a head of steam....

Here is a picture of the lamp post at the corner of my walk and driveway:


The Rose of Sharon tree near my front steps:


Even my corgi is not impressed but she can still get out and about....


Ok, she is telling me "I have had enough exploring, I remember this stuff from last winter."


Now, it is 5:00 p.m. and this is how it looks, this is the same Rose of Sharon tree as in the first picture:


Look at the lamp post that was in the earlier photo and see the "hat" it is wearing now:


My son just measured the snow on the back porch and it is 11" -- yes, that is eleven inches of snow and it is not suppose to end until early morning!


Oh, my dog wouldn't even get off the front porch to show you how deep it is this time and give you a photo comparison to the early photo with her in it. This time she stood next to me and looked up at me as if to say, "You don't really think I am going down into that--I will only go if you do!" Uh, no way!

I think the roof tells it all--and we are not anywhere near finished! Needless to say, my husband is working--as he is a lineman for Connecticut Light and Power. The wind is picking up and there are already 67,000 outages in our state--I will see him Monday or so...
So back up to the quilt room I go and hope and pray I do not lose power! Stay warm East Coast and New England! Halloween isn't until Monday...
Keep on quilting,

24 comments:

  1. so not fun....don't envy you at all! Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH.......too much snow way too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The front with this storm went south of us in Northeast Ohio and then turned north. Hope all is well at your house and that you do not lose power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a lot of snow! I'm hoping you don't lose power too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Goodness - that brings back memories. One of the years that I lived in CT we had a huge snowfall the day before NYE - I loved it but then I didn't have to go out in it and neither did my husband. We didn't lose power but could stay inside snug and warm and just enjoy the winter wonderland. I still miss the snow (I am back in Oz now) but I know it can make life hard - particularly for little corgis with short legs! Stay warm and happy stitching! p.s. keep the photos coming, I have to live vicariously thru you! sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A treadle machine would come in handy for times like these. Hope your power stays on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those linemen work SO HARD and in horrible weather. We take 'em for granted! Tell you hubby thanks for keeping the current coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Mrs. Barb! I hope you have some yummy snuggly quilts to get under tonight! I live in GA so we don't see stuff like that very often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My! I hope you can stay inside as much as possible and that your power will stay on. I wonder if your school will have to cancel classes on Monday???

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! Sitting where I am (Arizona) that is wow. I came from Florida.. so .. snow is an oddity for me. Hope you are OK. Quilties are on the way!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just beautiful! (Said from someone who has never been in snow) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow.....by now you must have 20 inches! Too much, too soon....I woldn't be able to deal with all of it. Hope power stays on and sll does well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow - amazing photos - I'm sure its not the best to live in but looks fantastic (for an aussie)-looks like great sewing weather !

    ReplyDelete
  14. please add your sistahs links
    to your post on your day)
    and please send in your winner's
    name by 10:oo pm EST the day
    you post.
    ( see you tomorrow wink)

    MY goodness Barb...we have nothing here..it is cold but no snow yet...I would be in absolute heaven..I snow shoe and ski...LOVE this ...ok...no snow balls at my screen ...see you tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhh beautiful pictures but it's way too soon, lets hope it doesn't come across the pond as we are really not prepared, hope your power stayed and am waiting to see your ghastlie post :O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow the snow is lovely but to much to soon ,lol.I live in Pennsylvania and we got about 4 inches.Your Corgi's are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stay warm and safe. My son just moved up to NY in July and I was laughing at his whining over a few inches yesterday. Your dog is cracking me up. Last December we used our Irish Setters' legs in pictures to gauge the depth of the snow. lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. In Iowa we've had some of those early snow/ice storms, too. Hope you have plenty of quilts to snuggle under - perhaps a Ghastlie one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Here is hoping that you, your corgi and your Ghastlies stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We experienced that storm here on the east coast of Canada as well but were a little luckier as we had rain but we did loose power , I was at my parents home for the weekend and it went off and did not come back on until this morning .Hope you get power back quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Aren't you glad you are a quilter and can cuddle up in your creations?

    ReplyDelete
  22. How long was your husband out working the storm? We were out of power u til Halloween night. Which we were very surprised about that! We were banking on a week with no power. Give your husband my thanks!

    ReplyDelete